Come Work With Us!
Learn more about the Peer Support & Independent Living Skills Coordinator position below and how to apply. Thank you for your interest in the opportunity to work for Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities!
Peer Support & Independent Living Skills Coordinator Posted on May 24th, 2023
May 24th, 2023
Salary / Benefits:
$26.00 per hour
CID's mission is to provide support services, community awareness, and systems change advocacy to promote full and equal community integration and participation for people with disabilities.
The Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) is a private, nonprofit corporation located in San Mateo, California. Incorporated in 1979, CID is a consumer- driven, community-based, services and advocacy organization serving San Mateo County and beyond. By federal mandate, the majority of CID’s Staff, Management, and Board of Directors consists of people with disabilities.
CID is one of 25 Independent Living Centers in the State of California and over 400 Independent Living Centers in the United States. We are affiliated with other ILCs through our membership and participation in the California Foundation of Independent Living Centers and the National Council on Independent Living. CID is affiliated with other nonprofit agencies through our membership in the California Association of Non- Profits.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Peer Support and Independent Living Skills Coordinator is an entry-level, part-time position, responsible for providing an array of services in group and individual settings, including peer counseling, information and referral, and advocacy. The Peer Support and Independent Living Skills Coordinator help consumers identify resources, strategies, and skills needed to make a change in their lives so that they can increase their independence. The Peer Support and Independent Living Skills Coordinator is responsible for establishing relationships with community organizations that provide services for persons with disabilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Part-time hourly position working up to 25 hours per week.
- Facilitate Peer Support Group workshops.
- Provide instruction in personal care, financial management, social skills, household management, and more. Also includes education and training necessary for living independently in the community.
- Provide service coordination to the cross-disability community, including needs assessment, identification of relevant community resources, and advocacy.
- Maintain up-to-date working knowledge of, and provide information, support, counseling and advocacy for IHSS, Paratransit, and other resources to consumers and through information and referral services.
- Collaborate with government agencies and community based organizations to facilitate coordination of services for consumers.
- Work collaboratively as a team member with other CID staff to assist consumers in addressing issues and achieving goals.
- Represent CID at related community meetings, task forces and committees relevant to persons with disabilities.
- Accurately complete and maintain all electronic and paper records required for CID consumer management and grant reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Experience in social services or advocacy setting working with persons with disabilities strongly preferred.
- Personal experience as a person with a disability.
- Excellent computer skills including the ability to learn new programs on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of people including consumers, media and people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent public speaking skills, the ability to present information in clear and articulate, logical and organized manner.
- Critical thinking and ability to develop advocacy strategies and break into manageable steps for others.
- BA or equivalent experience.
- Bilingual-bicultural strongly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Reasonable accommodation provided on request to persons with disabilities in the application and interview process as well as in employment.
Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) is wheelchair accessible and provides reasonable accommodations on request, including ASL interpreters and print information in alternative formats. CID is a scent free office in order to be fully accessible to all persons with disabilities. Please do not wear any scented products including perfumes, aftershave, hairspray, etc. to any meetings, groups, or workshops held at or by CID.
Please submit your resume to email@example.com
if interested in applying for the position.